- This event has passed.
Workshop #1 – A-Game: Attitude, Altitude & Grapes of Argentina
23rd August 2018 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
23 August 2018 (Thursday)
3pm-5pm (2:30pm registration)
Basement Level 2 , School of Hotel and Tourism Management PolyU (next to Hotel ICON),
17 Science Museum Road, Tsimshatsui East, Hong Kong
(See Google Map here)
Chief Winemaker, Trapiche
40 Pax *Limited seats.
Registration on first-come, first-served basis
Sales representatives, brand managers, buyers, and media
Workshop Content Preview
- The ultimate expression of Argentina’s grapes: from Chardonnay to Torrontes, Cabernet to Malbec.
- Examining microclimates at different altitudes: mountains ranges, valley and plains.
- Tasting terrior diversity: comparing Alta, Pedernal Valley, Mendoza and Buenos Aires
- A snapshot of Argentinean wine history: first plantings and and old vines
- Who determines style and taste? Consumer vs winemaker!
- Are Argentinean winemakers focusing on too much or too little on malbec?
- What are Argentina’s key export countries? What are the emerging markets?
- What is the current climate for organic and sustainable viticulture in Argentina?
Chief Winemaker of Trapiche, Daniel Pi has worked for Peñaflor Group since 1992. He is one of Argentina’s most capable and knowledgeable winemakers, renowned domestically and internationally for his outstanding, diverse career.
During his career, he has worked in public and private institutions, and working for national and foreign wineries. Working with agricultural engineers and winemakers from New and Old world wine-producing countries, Daniel is well-acquainted with traditional and innovative practices. He’s carried out valuable winemaking projects abroad, especially in the US.
Daniel was Head Professor at Don Bosco Oenological University of Mendoza, giving conferences and symposiums worldwide. He is the founder of the Sociedad de Profesionales del Vino (SAPV) and Revista Enología (Oenology Magazine), among other achievements. Since 2009, he’s been Judge and permanent member of the tasting panel for the Argentina Wine Awards.
In 2017 Daniel was recognized as The Argentinean Winemaker of the Year by Tim Atkin, Master of Wine.
- El Esteco, Old Vines Torrontés 1945 (100% Torrontés), Salta, 2017
- El Esteco, Fincas Notables Cabernet Sauvignon (100% Cabernet Sauvignon), Salta, 2016
- Finca Las Moras, Gran Syrah (100% Syrah), Pedernal Valley, 2015
- Finca Las Moras, Mora Negra (70% Malbec, 30% Bonarda), Pedernal Valley, 2014
- Mascota Vineyards, Unanime (100% Chardonnay), 2015
- Navarro Correas, Structura (60% Malbec, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 3% Merlot), Mendoza, 2015
- Trapiche, Terroir Series Finca Coletto Malbec, (100% Malbec), Mendoza, 2014
- Trapiche, Costa & Pampa Chardonnay (100% Chardonnay), Buenos Aires, 2017